Sunday, August 10, 2008

the farm

I held onto my last post for most of a week. Now I have tons of time watching the Red Sox and icing my back. I worked most of Friday side by side with a landscaper. How dumb am I? I called him for help the last time my back acted up.

White eggplant? maybe we could spray paint them. It looks like hard boiled eggs in the garden.


The morning glories are so overgrown we can't see the bird feeders any longer. Tons of flowers on the right, none on the left. The sweet potato vines look pretty meeting in the middle. I almost didn't plant any I was so "over" sweet potato vines.



This is the orphan plant area or the plant hospital. Frank, the landscaper, and I dug stuff up and planted mostly hydrangeas. You can tell when he plants things and when I do. He makes this nice volcano of dirt to hold the water. I dig, add compost and sometimes bone meal, and dump it in. The dogs really want to eat and roll in the bone meal.


This is along the side fence. There are Cape roses, lilacs and Maine low bush blueberries in the volcanoes.


I want more daylilies: There are a lot of transplant daylilies that will grow nicely next year. I try to add a lot of compost so you see dark spots where daylilies will grow. If you look into the back past the fence you will see that Frank planted three Leyland Cypress and hollies. The hollies are gorgeous as a dark green backdrop to just about anything. We only have girls, I ordered a male.

Who ate the haricot vert or French skinny green beans? Bambi or Peter? There are no leaves at all any longer and each day the nubbins get shorter. Bad bunny, bad.




Ben's blueberry bin. It needs mulch over the soaker hoses. Frank filled up the rest in no time. I think I had lugged twenty wheelbarrows filled with compost. We did a few more and it seemed to fill right up. It's cool, I lined the bottom with seaweed, then manure, then compost and he brought a mixture of compost and loam. We transplanted the strawberries that the dogs had tortured to the bin. (Now I have to keep canines out of this perfect digging spot.) The strawberries are complaining, but I'm keeping them well watered and most will make it. Ben wants some flowers and I have some flowering shrubs (Abeila grandflora) for near the bin. I'm not digging anything for a few days.



We have made a bunch of pickles and have had a lot of fun. I'm getting more organized and will have to check to see what the cukes are doing. Henry likes sweet, so we make a dill batch and then a sweet batch. I'm following all USDA, Ohio and Nebraska State canning protocols. Henry said, "Just throw some wax on top." No. For Christmas I want a pressure canner.
CB

No comments: